Pages

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Happy Birthday Penelope Rose

Yesterday was my daughter's first birthday.

She may not be here on Earth to celebrate with, but that doesn't mean we can't celebrate.

In the morning, my mother and I took a fruit basket to the NICU nurses at Winnie Palmer. They were the ones who took care of her when I couldn't, and it seemed appropriate to thank them on her birthday. We hadn't been to that hospital since last year, and it was a bit of a memory shock. More for my mom than me, I think, because my time there had nothing to do with the daily walk from the parking garage to the NICU and signing in and washing hands. I mostly saw my hospital room. I remember the single room in the NICU where Penny was baptized and passed on. Either way, I'm glad that we could honor her short time here with them.


After work, Charlie and I met at Penny's gravesite. It was important to me to be with her on her birthday. We hadn't been back since Mother's Day, so it was time. After a prayer, we ate a picnic dinner in the park adjacent to the cemetery. She couldn't have the usual first birthday "smash cake" but we did share a cupcake in her honor.

A friendly cat came over when we were eating and sat on Charlie's lap.
I'm thankful to all the people who called, messaged, or texted us yesterday. Her life may have been short, but she was so important to us. I'm glad our friends remember her as well.
A gift from the family I nanny for.

No comments:

Post a Comment